recipe – healthy & easy
Satisfying, rich, warming beef stew, a Dutch classic.
- 50 g butter
- 600 g beef (suitable for stewing), cubed
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 beef stock cube
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 cloves
- Salt and pepper
- Melt the butter in a Dutch oven.
- Add the beef, brown well.
- Take out the beef, set aside.
- Add the onions to the remaining fat, cook until translucent and slightly browned.
- Add the beef back in, mix with the onions.
- Sprinkle over the flour, cook 1-2 minutes on low heat, stirring regularly.
- Add warm water until the beef is barely covered.
- Add the stock cube, red wine vinegar, bay leaves and cloves.
- Cover, simmer on a low heat for at least 3 hours. If you like a thick sauce, take of the lid for the last 30 minutes to evaporate some of the moisture of the sauce.
- Taste, adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Serve with potato puree or rice.