recipe – healthy & easy
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup paprika
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 2 slabs beef ribs, each about 3 lbs.
- Mix together sugar, pepper, paprika, chili powder, salt, and garlic powder in a bowl. Transfer rub to an airtight container.
- Blot ribs with paper towels, then pierce all over the backs of ribs with a fork. Liberally sprinkle dry rub on both sides of ribs, then cover and refrigerate for 4-24 hours.
- Prepare and preheat grill. Hickory is used at K.C. Masterpiece and indirect heat is recommended, so if using a standard charcoal grill, arrange coals to one side (see Tips, Tricks, and Techniques for Turning Out Perfect Barbecue). Grill is ready when temperature reaches 200°-225°. Place ribs on grill rack, close lid, and cook for 4-6 hours, adding more coals and wood as needed. Ribs are done when meat shrinks about 1″ up the bone and they “give” when you wiggle the bones, but about 30 minutes before they get to this point, baste once with sauce.