Chicken noodle laksa recipe – healthy & easy
- 1 medium chicken , jointed into pieces and skinned
- 1 tbsp coriander seed
- 3cm piece ginger , sliced
- 2 lemongrass stalks, crushed
- zest and juice 1 lime
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp low-salt soy sauce
- 200ml light coconut milk
- 3 garlic cloves , sliced
- 3 red chillies , deseeded and sliced
- handful coriander , chopped (leaves and stalks kept separate)
- bunch spring onions , sliced
- 300g cooked rice noodle
- handful mint leaves, chopped
- 1 tbsp sesame oil (optional)
- STEP 1
Put the chicken in a large saucepan with the coriander seeds, ginger, lemongrass, lime zest and a little salt. Add enough cold water to cover, slowly bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer, gently poaching the chicken for 40 mins until it starts to fall away from the bone.
- STEP 2
Carefully lift the chicken onto a plate and cover with foil. Leave the stock to stand for 10 mins, skim off any excess fat and strain into a clean saucepan. Pull the chicken from the bones and tear into chunks.
- STEP 3
Bring the stock back to the boil, then add the fish sauce, soy, coconut milk, garlic, chillies and coriander stalks. Simmer for 2 mins, return the chicken to the pan and cook for a further 5 mins until warm. Add the spring onions and lime juice to taste.
- STEP 4
Divide the noodles between 6 bowls, then use a slotted spoon to lift the chicken and veg into each. Season the stock and pour over. Scatter with coriander and mint leaves, and serve with a drizzle of sesame oil, if you like.
Recipe from Good Food magazine, February 2013